Sunday 21 April 2013

Veterans & Feeling Blue

By The Megapope   Posted at  18:58   Ultramarines 3 comments

So I was all finished with my veteran squad sergeant and then suddenly I remembered that I have a pack of muzzle flare attachments that I haven't even used yet. What the hell, Megapope. What the hell. 

Soooo here's the finished product with said muzzle flare attached. I also attempted my first ever colour reflection on the front of his bolter. It looks okay (better than this photo would indicate, anyway) and I'm keen to try again and better the technique. Mainly I just carefully layered up some watered down orange, trying to make sure you could still see the grey still underneath. 

Another angle. Because this is my blog and I'll do what I like.


And now I am onto some more of the squad. Getting through that initial three step blue phase is really tedious! And I still have 6 more squad members to go, groooooaaan. 

Having said that, I'm pretty pleased with the new blue recipe. After the three steps of Macragge Blue base, Drakenhof Blue wash and Altdorf Guard flat highlight, I then add another two line highlights of Calgar Blue, followed by a 50/50 mix of Calgar Blue and Space Wolf Grey. Then I use the Gulliman Blue glaze to tie it all together. 

I tried using the Etherium drybrush and to be honest I just found it kinda messy and not really to my liking. Much better to just add another line highlight and then finish with the glaze in my opinion. 

I'm finding that the extra step to Space Wolf Grey then blue glaze really makes the model stand out a lot better, without the brighter highlight being too eye-bleedingly ridiculous. 

Hurrah, tea and crumpets for all. 

3 comments :

  1. Looks really good! That muzzle flash is fantastic!

    This all reminds me of how much I used to enjoy this stuff. Not so much the painting, but cutting up and converting models was always the bit I was best at. I've still got some of my dudes around somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although, *technically*, since a bolter has rocket-propelled ammunition, it wouldn't have muzzle flash, surely?

    This is the 40k universe though, so maybe bolters come as standard with TruFlash(TM) realistic muzzle flare simulators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha yes, I've thought about that too. I decided it was just the initial burst of exhaust from the bolter round launching or something. SHHH IT LOOKS AWESOME

    ReplyDelete

Back to top ↑
Contact!

Who is this beardy weirdo?

My photo
Hatching from his egg high in the glacier crowned majesty of the Himalayas, the Megapope quickly devoured his other siblings and later on his parents, for being damned cheeky. He ran a bloody campaign of terror across the wind swept steppes of the north, coming to be known as 'That Horrid Bastard' by the terrified tribes of the region. Many years later he came second in a beauty contest, won $10, didn't pass Go and didn't collect $200.

Important legal disclaimer

Important legal disclaimer
© 2013 Paint Nerd . WP Mythemeshop Converted by BloggerTheme9
Blogger templates . Proudly Powered by Blogger .